Tuesday 24 May 2011

Survival Sunday


Wow, what a fantastic end to the season. It truly had everything, great goals, drama, sackings and for me personally, Blackpool being relegated. I haven't mentioned it so far, but I'm a Preston North End fan, that explains my jubilation at Blackpool's demise. I'd like to review all 4 teams involved and predict what will happen to them next season. Okay, here goes;

Wolves  I thought they were doomed in January, but they pulled off some fantastic results. The wins away at Liverpool and Villa and the home wins over Manchester United and Chelsea stand out the most. All in all it was an indifferent season for Wolves, some poor home defeats and some big wins as I already mentioned. At the beginning of the season I didn't think they'd be in the relegation places, never mind staying up by one goal. Next season I feel Mick McCarthy has to strengthen his forward line and his centre back spots. The partnership of Mancienne and Craddock doesn't inspire me to say the least. If they splash the cash a little and get in 2 or 3 quality players, they should be fine next season. As long as Mick McCarthy is manager, they'll be fine.


Blackburn  They had a decent start to the season, then Allardyce was sacked, and Steve Kean appointed. Since Kean arrived they've played 19 matches, they won 5 of them. Now, why would you sack a proven manager like Sam Allardyce and replace him with a glorified number two? I can't seen Rovers doing anything under Kean, and 99% of Rovers fans I've spoken to agree, they don't want him. It's hard to say what will happen to Rovers next season, one would assume they're going to spend big. The only downside of that is that it will be Steve Kean spending it. Overall, a poor season for Rovers.

Birmingham City After a fantastic season last year, and the fantastic Carling cup win, I can't quite believe that they've been relegated. Their main problem has been scoring goals, it was the same last season, but their defensive record was miles better. They're weak in the striker department,  Zigic never really impressed, Derbyshire never really got a good run of games, Kevin Phillips never got a look in and Cameron Jerome isn't  going to get you 20 goals a season. What will happen next season is anyone's guess Alex Mcleish is tipped to move on and without doubt some of their better players will leave. If Mcleish stays, I think they'll bounce straight back.

Blackpool Frighteningly, they looked solid in the first half of the season and were playing some great football. It was never going to last, though. The squad they had was never going to be able to keep that run of form up.  A strike partnership of Taylor-Fletcher, DJ Campbell and Luke Varney? Not Premier League class by any stretch of the imagination. I heard Holloway moaning about decisions and having no luck, this was complete rubbish. They used all their luck for the next 10 years in years and were clearly favoured by referee's in numerous matches, most notably the home game against West Brom. As for next season, I can't see them bouncing back, I can see them going into free-fall, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Wigan Athletic Another team I thought were down in January. But Martinez never stopped believing and towards the end of the season they got some fantastic results. I never really cared for Wigan, their lack of fans and average team never really interested me. But after the last few months, they have my respect and my best wishes for the future. Next season is a difficult one to call, I think they'll be okay as long as Martinez stays and they keep Rodallega and N'Zogbia, or one of them at least.


Overall, a fantastic season. I'll review the rest of the action at a later date.

8 comments:

  1. Nice to see another football blog! Check mine out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont like black burn -_-
    gonna follow this

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice mini reviews, good to see another fan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just awesome, i liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice review out there, I like what you said about blackburn

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting. nice blog.
    following

    http://incredible-mo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete